Non-residents must be licensed in their home state for any lines of authority requested on their North Dakota license. Non-resident business entities must have at least one designated principal producer licensed in North Dakota for the lines of authority requested. Business entities should contact the North Dakota Secretary of State to ensure compliance with North Dakota corporate law.

An insurance producer license may be issued for the following major lines of authority:

  • Life and annuity
  • Accident and health
  • Variable life and annuity
  • Property
  • Casualty
  • Personal lines

An insurance producer license may be issued for the following limited lines of authority:

  • Credit
  • Crop hail
  • Bail bonds
  • Legal expense
  • Portable electronics
  • Surety
  • Title
  • Travel/baggage

Make sure you answer all questions completely and disclose all information requested. In addition to the information requested in the questions on the application form, licensed insurance producers are required to report to the Insurance Commissioner within 30 days any administrative actions or any criminal conviction in any jurisdiction (N.D.C.C. § 26.1-26-45.1). This requirement to report does not allow you to exclude any criminal convictions (see Bulletin 2009-2). If you have any questions about what needs to be reported or disclosed, contact the North Dakota Insurance Department before submitting your application.

You can submit your application electronically through the National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR). Select "Add Line of Authority" and then "Non-Resident Licensing" on the following page. The only fee is the NIPR transaction fee.

Please contact the Department if you have questions.