An administrator is any person who directly or indirectly underwrites, collects charges or premiums from, or adjusts or settles claims on, residents of North Dakota in connection with life, annuity or health coverage, including coverage provided by a self-funded plan.

Certificate of Authority/License Required

N.D.C.C. § 26.1-27-03 prohibits a person from acting as an administrator without first obtaining a Certificate of Authority from the North Dakota Insurance Department. Pharmacy benefits managers must also hold a certificate of authority/license as an administrator.

​​​​​​​Applying for the Certificate of Authority
Bond or Insurance Requirement

Administrators of self-insured plans must maintain a surety bond or proof of insurance satisfactory to the North Dakota Insurance Department. The bond must be the greater of $100,000 or 10 percent of the aggregate total amount of administered coverages under the plans handled in North Dakota.

Records Retained by Administrators

Records for all transactions between the administrator, insurers and insured persons must be retained for five years following the end of the contractual relationship.

​​​​​​​Renewal of Certificate of Authority/License

All third party administrator licensees must renew by April 30 each year. The renewal fee is $50. If the renewal is not completed by April 30, the license will be canceled. There is no grace period. Certificates of Authority issued after January 1 will not be required to renew until April 30 of the following calendar year.

A renewal application can be submitted through the National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR) beginning on February 1 each year. The renewal fee is $50 and the transaction fee is $5. If you are unable to submit your renewal application electronically, you may print the NAIC Uniform Application for Business Entity Insurance License Renewal/Continuation form. Complete, sign and date the form and mail it with the renewal fee of $50 to the North Dakota Insurance Department. If submitting a paper application, allow additional processing time. The form must contain an original signature. The uniform application form asks for an individual designated responsible licensed producer (DRLP). This information is not needed to renew a third party administrator license. Please leave this section blank.